Blue-Fronted Amazon Parrot
|Copyright: Leisa Hennessy (Snoops)
|Date Taken: 2006-04-25|
|Camera: Minolta Dimage Z5|
|Exposure: f/4.5, 1/60 seconds|
|More Photo Info: [view]|
|Photo Version: Original Version|
|Date Submitted: 2006-05-19 6:35|
|[Note Guidelines] Photographer's Note|
|DESCRIPTION: This is a medium-sized parrot. The overall color is green with a yellow face, blue feathers around the beak and yellow and red patches on the shoulders. The feet and beak are dark gray.|
SIZE: Approximately 37.5 cm (15 in.)
WEIGHT: Approximately 400-550 g (14-19.25 oz)
DIET: Includes seeds, fruits, nuts, berries, and leaves
INCUBATION: Approximately 28 days
CLUTCH SIZE: 2-3 eggs
FLEDGING DURATION: 60-75 days
SEXUAL MATURITY: Approximately 3-5 years
LIFE SPAN: Up to 60-80 years
RANGE: Southwestern Brazil, Paraguay, Bolivia , and northern Argentina
HABITAT: Inhabits humid and dry forests, palm trees, and at the edge of rivers
1. These birds are very good at mimicking human speech and are known to be noisy. When Amazon parrots were first discovered they were called kriken, which is derived from the French word meaning "screechers".
2. Parrots are considered pests because their eating habits are destructive to crops.
3. When the flock finds a new tree with fresh buds, they all land on a branch with much squawking. The branch bends under their collective weight and they all begin to chew at the fresh branch. The bark is crushed in their powerful beaks and they swallow the plant juices.
4. Amazons use their feet as hands.
5. Like most parrots, Amazons are monogamous, choosing a partner for life.
Thanks for looking gang and for yesterdays Comments all appreciated :)
scottevers7, SunToucher, cdplayer, loot has marked this note useful
Only registered TrekNature members may rate photo notes.
|You must be logged in to start a discussion.|
An excellent portrait on this Blue-fronted Amazon Parrot. Great quality light here. Your exposure was spot on. Beautiful saturated colors and very sharp detail. Good control ont the DOF has rendered a perfect OOF backround. Nice shot!
Beautiful photo with realy beautiful colors. The different tones of green ar doing it for me. Excellent job on the sharpness and composition with the eyes on the correct position.
A great close-up.
Wonderfully focussed shot shows the colours and the softness of it's feathers very well.
Oh yea! What a cute baby Leisa!
I love parrots! This image is very sharp with excellent positioning. The background is wonderful keeping the background at bay allowing the parrot to be in the spotlight! Great notes!
- [2006-05-20 2:59]
I like your portrait of this very alert Amazon. It is watching you very intently and curiously like only a parrot can do.
The composition is great with just the right proportions in the crop. The colours are very natural and the details are sharp. The BG is complimentary, but the only small nits here are the somewhat distracting bright spot just behind its head and a little bit of noise. It is nothing major which PP (post processing) can not sort out though. The exposure was spot-on and it shows great contrasts.
Very well done and TFS.